Friday, January 6, 2012

SuperFamily Book submission - too cute not to share on blog!

Allison and I first met the Boyd family 2 years ago, when we moved into the house next door to theirs. This will not surprise anyone, but David, Lisa, and Izzy immediately greeted us with huge smiles and welcomed us to the neighborhood. Since we were newlyweds, they also gave us a very nice card congratulating us on the wedding, along with a celebratory bottle of wine. Needless to say, they have always been easy to get along with, and the absolute best neighbors we could ever ask for.



One of my first (and funniest) memories of David happened to be when he was out working in his yard, albeit sans shirt. He of course still looked like he could suit up and play for a college football team that very day. As I walked by the window carrying a bowl of ice cream, I caught a glimpse of him and thought “I hope Allison doesn’t see him and make fun of me for eating this bowl of ice cream.” I proceeded to sit on the sofa, and just a few minutes later I heard Allison’s voice, as she looked out the window: “Ummm, sweetie….I think you might need to start working out a little harder!” Haha – thanks a lot, David!



I will always have two lasting memories of David’s legacy, and I’m certain they are both obvious to anyone who knew him. The first is his ever-present display of eternal optimism and endless energy. I knew him for one year pre-diagnosis, and one year after. In either year, I never saw him without a smile. If anything, he was more optimistic and more energized after beginning his fight. Even during the midst of his battles the last several months, here were just a few examples of his energy and character:



1. Realizing he had some extra pine straw, he proceeded to dress our lawn with his excess while we were out of town. All because he was feeling “neighborly,” to use his word.

2. He helped arrange a fence installation on our property while he was at MD Anderson in Houston. I was angry because I thought he was home when I sent him a text for his expert advice, but what could I do besides shake my head in amazement?

3. He sent me a video of The Karate Kid using his patented “crane kick” on the bad guy, which became our metaphor for his fight with cancer. While I’m sure most mortals would get discouraged, David never wavered. What a warrior.



My second lasting memory of David’s legacy is that of “David The Family Man.” As all the images of David flash through my head, nearly all of them are of David and his family. David, Lisa, and Izzy at the Christmas Parade. David teaching Izzy how to ride her bike in the driveway. Superman-clad David, Lisa, Izzy, and soon-to-be-born Cap knocking on our door to trick-or-treat on Halloween. The entire family so-colorfully decked out on Easter Sunday. The list goes on and on. Even though it was for a very short period of time, I am a better man for having known and lived next door to David. I am forever grateful, and I can only imagine the positive impact he had on those closer to him.



David undoubtedly felt the love and inspiration he received from his hundreds of supporters this past year. A few months ago, as we talked in his driveway, he told me that it all the prayers and well-wishes meant the world to him. He was overwhelmed and humbled. What I wish I had said, and what I pray he knew, is that his inspiration was infinitely more powerful than that of all his followers, combined. Talk about a Super Man.





With all our “Neighborly” Love,

Allison & Jason Hodge

No comments: